Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Refrigerator pickles


Even though our local CSAs are having a really rough year (weeks of over 100º weather followed by torrential, destructive storms), summer squashes and cucumbers are having a fabulous year. I've been doing my best to keep up. For the zucchini and summer squash, I've used them in egg bakes, made fritters, made a no-noodle lasagna, zucchini hash browns. There seem to be a lot of creative things to do.

For the cukes, I've really struggled. We use them on our dinner salads, but that doesn't even come close to dealing with my veggie drawer full of cucumbers. So I've been making a lot of fridge pickles. These are perfectly balanced: deliciously sour from the vinegar, slightly sweet from the sugar, with a hint of spice and a nice crunch. This is our new favorite recipe.

Fridge pickles
adapted from Cooking Light

3 English cucumbers, cut into 1/4" inch slices
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
3/4 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp minced garlic

1. Layer sliced cucumbers and onions in jars.
2. Combine vinegars, sugar, and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
3. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Cool and refrigerate.

Makes 3 pint jars of pickles 

4 comments:

  1. Those pickles look so tasty, and I love the spices you included. Do you think they'd keep for a while? I don't go through pickles very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma made "icebox pickles" and just the smell of the mixture coming to a boil takes me back to her kitchen.

    Making these is now on my list of things to do this weekend.

    :-) Thanks for the reminder.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was determined to learn more canning this year and I fear it just won't happen. Pickles are so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried three different kinds this past weekend so now I am thinking when those are gone, I will give these a try as well. I cut mine really thin, I notice yours are a little thicker, so am trying to figure out the proper size for what I like...what do you think? Was this size nice and held up well?

    ReplyDelete