Monday, February 28, 2011

Under the wire: Normandy Apple Bread (Mellow Bakers - February)


Phew...wasn't sure I was going to get this one in on time! Luckily my hubby is a patient guy and was willing to do a little extra kiddo duty so I could spend a few minutes building a stiff levain this morning, peeling and slicing apples this afternoon, and mixing up the dough this evening.

So here we are, at bedtime on February 28, with the last of the Mellow Bakers' February breads: Normandy apple bread.

The dough includes dried apples (we were short on time, so I sliced the apples very thinly and baked them at 250F for two hours), old apple cider (I splurged on some good stuff!), bread flour, whole wheat flour, water, a little instant yeast, salt, and some water (I mixed hot water with the cider to try to regulate the temperature a bit).

I was a bit distracted at times and rushing at other times, but the final result is quite tasty: slightly sweet from the apples, chewy crust, delicious smell, all around good flavor...this one is a win!

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - I'm going to have to dry some more apples one of these days and make this one again. It's a bit more work than most but like you say it is definitely a win Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had you not spoken of your haste I would have assumed extra hours had been spent to produce this gorgeous loaf. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got this one made. It sounds like it was worth it. I'll bet that was a wonderful smell to fall asleep with in the house. This one is at the top of my list to try once I get my starter going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one gorgeous loaf of bread and it sounds delicious with all those ingredients as well. You are so great at the bread baking, it always looks so perfectly executed, etc.

    ReplyDelete