Monday, May 14, 2012

Ciabatta rolls with Mother's Day jelly


When KAF posted this delicious-sounding recipe for ciabatta sandwich rolls, I immediately thought of my friend Di, who frequently bakes sandwich rolls from their site. Sure enough, the very next morning, I saw a tweet from Di, asking if anyone would be up for baking the rolls on Sunday. So Di, Kayte, and I planned a Twitter bake.

I knew it might be a little hectic to try to bake on Mother's Day, but hey, it's my day, right? And wouldn't it be wrong if I didn't bake on my day? :)


Late Saturday night when I got home from my bookclub, I quickly mixed up the starter; it couldn't have been easier. On Sunday morning, before we left for our trip to the Big Zoo, I mixed up the rest of the dough: all-purpose flour, instant yeast, salt, powdered milk, water, olive oil, and the starter. (I used my dough hook instead of my paddle attachment.) I let it rise for an hour on the counter, and then did a stretch and fold and stuck it in the fridge. When we got home from the zoo, the dough had clearly doubled in the fridge, so I pulled it out, divided it into 80 g portions and shaped them into flat rolls. And then I realized that I wouldn't have time to bake them before we left for dinner so...back into the fridge! When we got home, I pulled them out again. They puffed up in a few hours and I was able to dimple them and bake them before we went to bed.


This morning, my little guy was thrilled to see that we had bread! You see, at preschool, the kids made dandelion jelly, and he was really anxious for us to try it. (He goes to preschool at a nature center and one of his teachers, the same one who has chickens that occasionally give us eggs, is very interested in wild edibles.)

Recipe according to my little guy: "Here's how we make dandelion jelly. We picked dandelions and then we snipped them with scissors to get all the green stuff away. Then A [his teacher] boiled it to get light jelly. And then in the batch I was in, we putted it in. Then put in the jelly. Then put wrappers and stickers and labels on. I picked a Time to Relax hummingbird sticker. I wanted to give it sooner, but I decided to wait. So that's what we did."

So we enjoyed dandelion jelly on ciabatta rolls for breakfast, and then hubby used them for his lunch time sandwiches, and finally we used them as hamburger buns with dinner...quite a versatile roll! This is a make-again recipe for sure. I think Kayte and Di are both going to post their experiences with the ciabatta rolls later this week, so check them out!

Happy Mother's Day! :)

5 comments:

  1. Dandelion jelly? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm glad you had something baked fresh so you could try it. You should spend Mother's Day doing what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure when I'll get as far as blogging about these, since I don't have any good pictures. We really like them, though, so I'm sure I'll make them again. I'm glad you got to do something you enjoy on Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these rolls were so good. They are going into regular rotation here...I will post them for this Saturday as Saturday is generally my bread posting day. It was fun making them with you and Di...a big hit around here and very easy to make. Love the jelly story and his description of making it...so cute. I am allergic to dandelions, I wonder if I would be allergic to the jelly as well? Hmmmm...maybe not as I am allergic to most all yellow-carotin (spelling on that word, not sure) plants but I can eat mustard and corn without issue, so maybe Dandelion Jelly as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well seems I just got around to posting these and now I need to go back in and link up your post here as I forgot to do that when I posted today...I will go do that now. :-)

    ReplyDelete