Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I may have a problem...... (simple milk loaf)


I may be a trifle obsessed with my pullman pan. I can't seem to make bread in any other pan these days.

Here's my newest loaf: simple milk loaf, which was recommended to me by Nancy and Kayte when I was bemoaning the fact that I simply cannot find a homemade bread that the little guy will eat with his sandwiches. I found a lot of recipes and discussions around Dan Lepard's milk loaf, and ended up adapting a bit based on what I had in the house.

Simple milk loaf
adapted from Dan Lepard

7g instant yeast
720g whole milk, room temperature
58g maple syrup
15g kosher salt
50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
250g all purpose flour
450g whole wheat flour
300g bread flour

1. Mix everything together except the salt until it forms a shaggy mass.
2. Let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle salt and knead briefly to incorporate.
4. Let rest for 10 minutes. Knead for 10 seconds. Rest for 10 minutes. Knead for 10 seconds. Rest for 30 minutes.
5. Form into four equal balls (each about a pound) and put into greased and floured pullman pan.
6. Let rise until 1/4 inch from top of pan.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 410F and then 40 minutes at 350F (until internal temperature reaches 190-200F).
8. Cool.

The verdict? The milk loaf smelled wonderful while baking, and we all enjoyed it as an after school snack with butter. As for the sandwich test? The kiddos licked off the peanut butter and jelly from one sandwich and ate the turkey off the other one.... And the search continues.

3 comments:

  1. I think I can understand being obsessed with that pan, Abby, that's am impressive looking loaf! I love how perfectly square you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So weird your kids won't eat this as sandwiches. I have a milk loaf recipe somewhere which my kids LOVE, I'll have to find it for you. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny about them not liking this...well, okay, let me know and I will search with you, we always enjoy trying new sandwich loaf recipes. Let the search continue!

    ReplyDelete