Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Crockpot chicken magic





It's amazing: in the morning, before we rush out of the house for work and school, I chop an onion coarsely and put it in the bottom of my crockpot. I throw in an organic, free range chicken, sprinkle it with pure salt, freshly ground pepper, and a little paprika. Put the lid on, set it on low for 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 hours (depending on the size of the chicken and when I expect to get home).

When we get home, the house smells amazing. I pull out the chicken and strip off the meat: 4 or 6 cups of gorgeous meat for soups or pasta or.....

I throw the scraps back in the crock, add in a carrot or two, a celery stalk, an onion, a couple of bay leaves, a bit of thyme (1/2 tsp maybe?), about a teaspoon of salt, some freshly ground pepper, and 8-12 cups of water. Set the crock back on low for 12 - 24 hours.

The next day, I strain the whole thing and have 12 or more cups if amazing chicken stock.

All this beautiful, healthy food for maybe 30 minutes of work spread out over two days. Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment