Monday, February 20, 2012

Our favorite chicken pot pie


A bajillion years ago when the Modern Bakers were in the savory tarts section, I was responsible for blogging the chicken pot pie. Although we enjoyed the chicken and veggies, I was unhappy with the biscuit topping and the consistency of the pie overall. I mentioned in my post that the recipe wouldn't replace our favorite pot pie. A couple of people asked for my stand-by recipe, but it took me until now to get around to photographing and posting it!

I started with a recipe I pulled from Cooking Light a couple of years ago, although I don't use many of CL's short-cuts (like bisquick). I also add more veggies; we like a lot of variety, and besides, you never know which veggies the kids will be interested in on any given night. I also use tidbits from my dad's pot pie recipe (including his recipe for homemade bisquick).

Pot pie is often pretty bland, but this one is really flavorful, and we really enjoy the light biscuity topping. There's quite a bit of prep work, with all of the veggie-chopping; it usually takes me just over an hour from taking stuff out of the fridge 'til I get dinner on the table. But it makes a nice big pan, enough for a Sunday dinner for the four of us, and a couple of lunches for me and hubby for the work week ahead. And there are no complaints at the dinner table when it's served!


Our favorite chicken pot pie
adapted from Cooking Light and my dad
makes 6 servings
 
1 tbsp butter
2 leeks, washed thoroughly with tough ends removed, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 shallot, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
3/4 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 large potato, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 celery stalk, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
4 mushrooms, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 c dry white wine
1 tsp Dijon mustard
14 oz chicken broth
2 cups chopped roasted chicken
1 1/2 c frozen veggies (I use half frozen corn, half frozen peas)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
2/3 c half-and-half

for the topping
1 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp, 1 tsp powdered milk
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add leeks, shallot, and thyme, and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms, and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add wine; cook until liquid evaporates, about 1 minute.
5. Stir in mustard and broth; bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in chicken, frozen veggies, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
7. Whisk the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add the slurry and the half-and-half to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Dump into baking dish.
9. For the topping, whisk together the dry ingredients; then add the milk and egg. Spoon the batter over the chicken and veggies. It's okay if it doesn't cover it all evenly; it adds to the rustic look of the dish.
10. Bake for 20 minutes, until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.



1 comment:

  1. Abby, what a beautiful looking pie! I've never made one with a batter topping before..

    ReplyDelete