Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baking beginnings: Homemade bagels

January 12, 2012
The summer before I started this blog, I began experimenting more in the kitchen. Without an official outlet, I wrote some brief posts on my mommy-blog. I decided that I wanted to copy them here as part of my cooking/baking record.

May 3, 2009

I know this is not a cooking blog
...but this weekend I made homemade bagels, and I just had to write about them! I love a good cooking challenge, and from the moment I read the recipe on Smitten Kitchen's website, I really wanted to try making them. So...I did!



I couldn't find high-gluten flour, so I had to make due with bread flour to which I added some vital wheat gluten. And I realized after it was already mixed in that I had mis-measured the yeast. And we didn't have onion or garlic flakes, so our "everything" bagels were limited to poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and salt. But everyone seemed to enjoy them...and how fun to have homemade bagels on a Sunday morning! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment