Sunday, June 12, 2011

Strawberry chocolate chip frozen yogurt

I had some strawberries in the fridge to use up and decided to make my little guy's favorite treat: strawberry frozen yogurt. We usually use the recipe from David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop. While the strawberries were macerating, I started browsing online, looking for other frozen yogurt recipes to change things up a bit. I found an interesting recipe from Food and Wine via The Bitten Word, which included some different ingredients (a little cream, some corn syrup, some lemon zest). I'd already started the process for DL's recipe, so I ended up making a conglomeration of the two, varying based on things I had in the house. And then, most of the way through the churning process, I thought about the tail-end of a bag of mini chocolate chips in the freezer. I pulled out a spoonful of the yogurt, dotted it with mini chips, and stuck it in hubby's mouth. "Good idea or bad idea?" He tasted, thought, and suddenly said, "Mmmm, good idea!!"

The results? Definitely a yummy treat! Creamier and richer than our normal frozen yogurt. The lemon adds a brightness, and the tiny bits of chocolate make you feel like you're eating chocolate covered strawberries. Yum!

Strawberry chocolate chip frozen yogurt
makes about 1 1/2 quarts

450 g strawberries (1 lb), washed, hulled, and cut into small chunks
130 g sugar
1 tsp kirsch
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp instant fruit pectin
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp lemon zest
350 g plain yogurt
125 g heavy cream
1/4 c mini chocolate chips

1. Combine the strawberries, sugar, and kirch in a medium bowl and allow to sit for an hour or two. Then blend into a purée.
2. Add the fruit pectin to the lemon juice, stirring well to combine. (The Food and Wine recipe called for geletin, which I thought I had, but then didn't, so I subbed in fruit pectin, which seemed to work just fine.)
3. Heat the strawberry purée with the corn syrup until the sugar melts, about 1 minute.
4. Off heat, add the lemon juice/pectin to the strawberries.
5. Stir the yogurt with the lemon zest, and then add the strawberry purée, and finally add the cream. Stir well.
6. Place the bowl in an ice water bath and stir occasionally, until the mixture is cold.
7. Freeze in the ice cream maker according to the manufacture's instructions.
8. About two minutes before the yogurt is finished churning, add the mini chips.
9. Enjoy the yogurt immediately (it will have a soft serve consistency) or pack it into a freezer safe bowl and freeze for several hours.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delish!! I will have to try this. We've only made the chocolate, peanut butter ice cream so far in our ice cream maker. I just made a kind of strawberry sorbet last week for us. I put the ingredients in the blender, though, and pureed til smooth and then froze. We just finished it off last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, this sounds like a weird combination: strawberries and chocolate chips, but after having thought about it for a while I think it's a perfect match! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I love chocolate and strawberry together--I like to top chocolate ice cream with strawberry sauce. Great idea to add the chocolate right to the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete