Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mellow Bakers: Roasted hazelnut and prune bread (May)


Our final May Mellow Bakers bread was roasted hazelnut and prune bread. I've never been a big hazelnut fan, and I've been subbing other nuts whenever our breads have called for hazelnuts. But I'd finally found some at the store, so I decided to try them.

This is made with a stiff levain, some whole wheat flour, bread flour, a tiny bit of instant yeast, salt, water, a bit of butter, roasted hazelnuts, and some chopped up prunes.

I made the levain last night and mixed everything this morning. Then the little ones asked for a visit to the science museum, so I stuck the dough in the fridge. When I got home, the dough had doubled, so I pulled it out and shaped it. It took quite a while to rise, and then I baked it with steam.

This bread was okay. I was right; I really don't like hazelnuts, but my hubby thought they were pretty good. In the future, I'll go back to replacing them with other nuts.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I have to crack into that book more this summer...you are so good with all the breads!

    ReplyDelete