Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The intersection of work and life

I've mentioned before that in real (non-mommying, non-baking) life I teach junior high English. We have just begun a poetry unit and are working on narrative poems this week. Tomorrow the assignment is to write a rough draft poem about an event related to a subject that is close to your heart. I wrote a quick example to share with my class . . . and then I decided I should share it with you! (Please don't judge my lack of poetic talent too harshly . . . these are just rough drafts after all!)

Introduction to hearth baking, by Ms. B
The steam rises
“Quick, put the bread in!” my hubby demands.

“I am! Don’t rush me!” I shout back.
Quickly, I slide the loaf of bread
into the hot hot hot oven.

The steam rises
“Quick, close the door!” I yell.

I run to read the open book on the counter.

“Quick, open the door!” I yell at my hubby.
He opens the door, flips a towel over the delicate
glass of the oven door.

I pour water into the waiting pan.
The steam rises.

“Owwwwwwwwww!” my hubby’s wail pierces the kitchen.
I jerk in surprise, the cup sloshes.
“Owwwwwwwwww!” I yell in return.
Two casualties . . . so far.

“Quick, close the oven door!”
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
We count to 30.

“Quick, open the door!”
I spritz the oven walls
the steam rises
like smoke on a campfire
only without the marshmellows.

We count to 30.
“Quick, open the door!”
I spritz the walls.
The steam rises.

All of this
to ensure the most perfect
loaf of bread.


  1. This was interesting to read.
    What a nice narrative poem, indeed!
    I hope your students will like it a lot.
    I, for sure, enjoyed the plot.

  2. Cute story. If it was about my experience, you would have had to included triggering the fire alarm... Hope the burns aren't too bad?

    Anne Marie